The University of Nottingham Malaysia (UNM) is organising the Malaysian Poetry Writing Competition with the aim of providing an opportunity for all Malaysian writers, regardless of age, to submit their English language poems in a nation-wide competition.
“We are happy to organise this poetry-writing competition. It is part of our efforts to promote Malaysian literature,” said Associate Professor Jason Pandya-Wood, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. He added, “Creative writing in English is a focus in the School of English and this competition provides an opportunity for all Malaysians to showcase their talents.”
UNM is the main sponsor of the competition with Maya Press acting as co-sponsor. Participants are invited to send in their entries from now until the submission deadline, which is on 15 July 2021.
All submissions must be unpublished original work and each participant is allowed to submit a maximum of three poems with each poem not exceeding 40 lines. The announcement of the winners will be made in November 2021.
Below are the submission guidelines for the competition:
- All submissions must be made online through email.
- Each poem must be on a new page. The first page will contain the writer’s name, identity card number, email address and a statement of declaration that the work of the poet is original and unpublished in any form. The second page will contain the title of the poem and the poem.
- All submissions must be in Word document.
- Any submission that does not comply with these guidelines will be rejected.
- All submissions must reach the organisers by 15 July 2021. No late entries will be accepted.
A total of 20 poems will be longlisted and 10 will be shortlisted. The top three winners will be announced during the prize-giving ceremony that is tentatively scheduled for 28 October 2021.
The first, second and third prize winners will receive a cash prize of RM1,000, RM750 and RM500 respectively. The shortlisted winners will receive RM200 each while the longlisted winners will receive RM100 in cash.
A post-competition publication of selected poems will be published by Maya Press.
“This is a great opportunity for established writers, emerging writers and those who have no published poems, to participate in this competition. Besides the twenty poems, other poems which have high commendation from the judges will also be published in a collection of poems after the competition,” said Emeritus Professor Malachi Edwin Vethamani, Chair of the Organising Committee.
Online Education Fair 线上教育展
University of Nottingham Malaysia